The Discovery Coast extends from Port Hardy to Bella Coola on the Central Coast, and includes the communities of Bella Bella (McLoughlin Bay), Denny Island (Shearwater), Klemtu, Ocean Falls, and the Hakai Pass area.
- The Discovery Coast Passage is a summer-only service between Port Hardy and Mid Coast ports of Bella Bella, Shearwater, Klemtu, Ocean Falls and Bella Coola. The communities of Bella Bella and Klemtu are served by the Inside Passage Fall/Winter/Spring schedule during the off season.
- Vehicles and Passengers
- Sailing Distance and times vary based on current conditions
- Sailing Season: June to September
- The Discovery Coast Passage route is served by the MV Queen of Chilliwack
- Reservations are strongly advised for passenger and vehicle travel along the Discovery Coast Passage between Port Hardy and Bella Coola.
- Port Hardy
- Bella Bella (McLoughlin Bay)
- Denny Island (Shearwater)
- Ocean Falls
- Hakai Pass
Click on the map to view a large scale map of the Vancouver Island and BC Coastal Ferry Routes, or view BC Ferries’ map of Ferry Routes in BC (PDF format). Make vehicle reservations and check current ferry schedules, ferry fares, capacity conditions at major ferry terminals, and the departure and arrival status of current sailings directly on the BC Ferries website.
BC Ferries Schedule for this Route
Until BC Ferries launched its Discovery Coast Passage run in the summer of 1996, the Central Coast was also largely inaccessible by water. Now, to the delight of adventurers and locals alike, from June to September the Queen of Chilliwack connects the community of Port Hardy, at the northeastern end of Vancouver Island, with Bella Coola. Sail direct, or enjoy optional stops at McLoughlin Bay, Denny Island (Shearwater), Klemtu, Ocean Falls and Bella Coola.