- BC Ferries operates a scheduled ferry service, on a circular route, from Port McNeill (Vancouver Island) to Alert Bay (Cormorant Island) and Sointula (Malcolm Island)
- Port McNeill Ferry Terminal
- Sointula Ferry Terminal
- Alert Bay Ferry Terminal
- Vehicles and Passengers
- Sailing Time: Port McNeill to Alert Bay: 45 minutes (7.5 nautical miles)
- Sailing Time: Alert Bay to Sointula: 35 minutes (6.5 nautical miles)
- Sailing Time: Sointula to Port McNeill: 25 minutes (5.5 nautical miles)
- Ticket sales and loading end 3 minutes before the scheduled sailing time for vehicles and 5 minutes before the scheduled sailing time for walk-on passengers.
Click on the map to view a large scale map of the North and Central Vancouver Island Ferry Routes, or view BC Ferries’ map of Ferry Routes in BC (PDF format). Make vehicle reservations, and check current ferry schedules, ferry fares, capacity conditions at major terminals, and the departure and arrival status of current sailings directly with BC Ferries.
BC Ferries Schedule for this Route
A private scheduled Foot Passenger ferry service operates daily, June to September, between Telegraph Cove on Vancouver Island and Alert Bay on Cormorant Island. Departure for the 25-minute scenic trip to Alert Bay is from the Telegraph Cove Resort. Twice weekly connections between Alert Bay and Sointula are offered from July to September. In Telegraph Cove, be sure to visit the first whale watching company established in British Columbia. Stubbs Island Whale Watching operates whale watching cruises in the calm waters of Johnstone Strait and Blackfish Archipelago.