Fisgard Lighthouse in Victoria is nationally important as the first lighthouse on the rocky Pacific west coast of Canada. Built by the British when Vancouver Island was still a crown colony, Fisgard Lighthouse has stood as a symbol of sovereignty since its construction in 1860. The lighthouse is still in operation but is now fully operational.
Along with nearby Race Rocks Lighthouse in the Strait of Juan de Fuca, Fisgard still provides a welcome guide for mariners to Royal Roads anchorage and the Esquimalt naval base (CFB Esquimalt), and also points the way to Victoria harbour for merchant ships and recreational vessels.
The former keeper’s house now contains exhibits, artifacts, children’s games, and hands-on display panels. Panoramic views from the lighthouse include tall ships at the Canadian Naval Base, Esquimalt lagoon, and the snow-capped Olympic Mountains across the Strait of Juan de Fuca.