Vancouver Island’s vast number of lakes, rivers and ocean inlets are amazing to explore by canoe or kayak. Kayakers glide through BC marine parks into scenic bays and lagoons and go ashore on secluded sandy beaches and uninhabited islands. The large, relatively isolated lakes of the north and central portion of Vancouver Island are enclaves of solitude. Popular sea kayaking destinations are the Broken Group Islands in Barkley Sound (southwest coast), Broughton Archipelago off Port McNeill on the North Island, the Southern Gulf Islands off the southeast tip of the island, the Discovery Islands off Campbell River, and Desolation Sound, which is acessed from Quadra and Cortes Island, or from the BC Sunshine Coast. The kayaking season in British Columbia is from mid-May to September.
Canoeing & Kayaking Services
- Canoeing & Kayaking Services: BC Gulf Islands and Discovery Islands
- Canoeing & Kayaking Services: West Coast Vancouver Island (Ucluelet, Tofino & Barkley Sound)
- Canoeing & Kayaking Services: Vancouver Island, Gulf Islands & Discovery Islands
- Canoeing & Kayaking Services: Desolation Sound and BC Sunshine Coast
Canoeing & Kayaking Information
- Canoeing around Vancouver Island, the BC Gulf Islands and Discovery Islands
- Sea Kayaking around Vancouver Island, the BC Gulf Islands and Discovery Islands
- Sea Kayaking in Desolation Sound on the BC Sunshine Coast
- Whitewater Kayaking around Vancouver Island, British Columbia
Clayoquot Wilderness ResortClayoquot Wilderness Resort
West Coast Vancouver Island
Clayoquot Wilderness Resort is a small, privately-owned and operated Relais & Chateaux eco-safari-style resort Outpost in the remote wilds of Vancouver Island, near Tofino, open seasonally to guests from all over the world. We are a true resort destination in that we own and operate our own adventures and activities, and, working with the Ahousaht First Nation, provide unprecedented access to the UNESCO-designated Clayoquot Sound Biosphere Reserve.
With just 25 guest tents and an over-full complement of staff, wilderness guides and food and beverage artisans, our clients receive respectfully intimate attention from the moment they arrive via floatplane until they wave goodbye from the horse-drawn wagon carrying them back to the dock.
Adventure unfolds in tandem with the rainforest, tides, seasons, and the call of the wild. An impressive menu of equestrian, marine, hiking, fishing, interpretive, and restorative activities is offered daily – each outing custom-built to suit age, skill-level and expectation.
The resort in Bedwell Sound provides 21st-century-safari style lodging in opulently outfitted prospector tents, and a massage and therapeutic treatment centre with the soul of an outpost spa. Activities include whale watching, bear watching, horseback riding, canoeing and kayaking, hiking, mountain biking, fishing, and hot springs tours.