Vancouver Island’s vast number of lakes, rivers and ocean inlets are amazing to explore by canoe or kayak. Kayakers glide through BC marine parks into scenic bays and lagoons and go ashore on secluded sandy beaches and uninhabited islands. The large, relatively isolated lakes of the north and central portion of Vancouver Island are enclaves of solitude. Popular sea kayaking destinations are the Broken Group Islands in Barkley Sound (southwest coast), Broughton Archipelago off Port McNeill on the North Island, the Southern Gulf Islands off the southeast tip of the island, the Discovery Islands off Campbell River, and Desolation Sound, which is acessed from Quadra and Cortes Island, or from the BC Sunshine Coast. The kayaking season in British Columbia is from mid-May to September.
Canoeing & Kayaking Services
- Canoeing & Kayaking Services: BC Gulf Islands and Discovery Islands
- Canoeing & Kayaking Services: West Coast Vancouver Island (Ucluelet, Tofino & Barkley Sound)
- Canoeing & Kayaking Services: Vancouver Island, Gulf Islands & Discovery Islands
- Canoeing & Kayaking Services: Desolation Sound and BC Sunshine Coast
Canoeing & Kayaking Information
- Canoeing around Vancouver Island, the BC Gulf Islands and Discovery Islands
- Sea Kayaking around Vancouver Island, the BC Gulf Islands and Discovery Islands
- Sea Kayaking in Desolation Sound on the BC Sunshine Coast
- Whitewater Kayaking around Vancouver Island, British Columbia
Ecosummer ExpeditionsEcosummer Expeditions
Awaken to the song of the Humpback whale. Fall asleep beneath the hushed canopy of a temperate rainforest. Fill your days whale-watching, kayaking with Orcas, observing sea lions romp through an underwater forest of kelp, and eagles fishing along the shore. Linger over lunch on a deserted island, scanning the horizon for signs of Orca activity.
Sign up for Ecosummer’s guided Orca Camps to kayak in the realm of Killer Whales. Explore the rainforest, hiking to waterfalls, or along ancient First Nation trails. Marvel when dolphins swim so close you wish you could reach out and touch them. Tune in to the rhythm of the tides. Escape the hubbub of your everyday world and restore life’s equilibrium on the shores of BC’s Johnstone Strait, one of the best places to whale-watch in all of British Columbia. Paddle the same waters as these gentle giants on three, four, or six-day kayaking adventures with Ecosummer Expeditions for a family vacation you’ll always remember.